Table of Contents
- PART 1: How to track an iPhone location for free via iCloud.com
- PART 2:How to track lost iPhone location for free via Find My iPhone
- PART 3: How to track Samsung phone location for free
- PART 4: How to track other Android phone location for free
- PART 5: How to track someone’s phone location without them knowing via mSpy
- PART 6: Tracking Another Mobile Location for Free
- PART 7: Comparison of hoverwatch and mSpy
If you’re someone who constantly worries about losing his cell phone, this article is all about tracking phone location for free. In this article I’ll describe 6 different methods by which to track a cell phone location for free.
The fear of losing one’s cell phone is strong and pervasive. In fact, this fear of losing one’s phone even has a name – Nomophobia. According to studies, over half the population deals with Nomophobia. This fear actually makes a lot of sense. Just think about how valuable our phones are. We carry them everywhere, and they hold our entire lives basically. Cell phones have become as important as our very limbs. The only difference is that it’s very easy to lose a cell phone. You may just leave it on a countertop somewhere, or drop it, or it may slip out of your pocket. it’s also very easy to steal it.
Because of how important cell phones are, and how easy it is to lose them, we’re all at least partially Nomophobic. However, you can get rid of this fear if you take preemptive measures of tracking phone location for free.
If you know how to track a cell phone location for free, you won’t be as worried about losing it. There are 6 strong methods of tracking phone location for free:
- Track mobile phone location for free with iCloud (for iPhone);
- Track cell phone location for free with Find my iPhone (for iPhone);
- Free tracking cell phone location for Samsung phones;
- Free tracking cell phone location for Android phones;
- Track cell phone location for free without them knowing via GPS Phone Tracker;
- Tracking another mobile location for free without them knowing using hoverwatch.
Read on to find out how to track a cell phone location for free using all of these methods.
PART 1: How to track an iPhone location for free via iCloud.com
The fear of losing a cell phone is bad enough. However, the fear of losing an iPhone is even worse because of just how expensive they are. Furthermore, no other cell phone is compatible with Apple devices. As such, if you lose an iPhone you’ll probably have to again empty all your savings to be able to buy another ridiculously overpriced iPhone.
Since the fear of losing an iPhone is the strongest one, let’s start with a solution for that. If you have an iPhone, it means you probably have an iCloud account as well. You need to log into your iCloud account from any device at all, and use it to track cell phone location for free.
How to track cell phone location for free using iCloud:
- Log into iCloud with your Apple ID and password.
- You’ll find the ‘Find my iPhone’ icon in the menu. Click on that.
- In the next window, you’ll see a large interactive map which will have the location of all your Apple devices charted out.
- Go to the ‘Devices’ tab on top of the window.
- Select the lost iPhone device.
- You’ll find the following options: Play Sound, Lost Mode, and Erase iPhone. Choose what you want to do.
- You can toggle navigation in the interactive map as well so you can be led directly to your iPhone.
- Play Sound: This feature sets off a loud siren from the iPhone alerting those around it about its presence.
- Lost Mode: This feature flashes a custom message on the screen so that you can either alert passersby of a number or an address they can contact.
- Erase iPhone: If you fear the iPhone has been stolen, you can use this feature to erase all the data in the iPhone so that none of your data is compromised.
Next, I’ll show you the process of tracking iPhone location for free without the use of iCloud.
PART 2:How to track lost iPhone location for free via Find My iPhone
Tracking phone location for free using Find My iPhone is also a similar process as that of iCloud. The only difference is that the previous method worked through signing on to iCloud, whereas this method relies on the Find My iPhone app, which can be accessed from any other iPhone.
The features in both of these methods are exactly the same. As such, it all depends on what you have access to. If you have an iPad, or another iPhone with a configured Find My iPhone app, you can use that. However, if you don’t have that, you’ll have to stick to iCloud.
How to download and enable Find My iPhone:
Find my iPhone is a preemptive measure. As such, you need to have it downloaded and enabled at all times so you may use it during times of crisis.
- Download Find My iPhone from the App store if you don’t already have it. This shouldn’t usually be necessary because all iPhones come with Find My iPhone pre-installed.
- You need to have enabled it before actually losing the iPhone. To enable it, go to Settings > iCloud. Now, you need to enter the Apple ID, and turn on the ‘Find My iPhone’ icon.
How to track a cell phone location without installing software
- You need to use Find my iPhone from any other iPhone or iOS device.
- Once you access the app, you’ll find a map with the location of all your iOS devices.
- Now, you’ll receive several options from which you can choose what to do. These options are Play Sound, Lost Mode, Erase iPhone, amongst others.
- You can also toggle navigation so you can be led to the lost iPhone.
Features of Find my iPhone:
- Toggle navigation and take you to the exact location of the iPhone.
- Activate a siren at full volume for 2 minutes so someone nearby may detect it.
- Use Lost Mode to flash a custom message on the screen.
- Can be put under lockdown using a Passcode so no one can access the information in it.
- If you fear the data might be compromised, you can choose to Erase iPhone completely.
Next, we’ll find out how to track a cell phone location for free if it’s a Samsung device.
PART 3: How to track Samsung phone location for free
Tracking phone location for free is also every bit as simple as tracking phone location for iPhone. In fact, for those who use Samsung, you get a feature called Find My Mobile, which is basically a carbon copy of Find my iPhone, but for Samsung instead.
Most Android phones require you to install a separate app to track cell phone location for free. However, with Samsung you can use the in-built feature itself.
Features of Find My Mobile:
- Locate my Mobile: GPS navigation so you can be lead to the exact location of your Samsung phone.
- Lock my Mobile: Putting the device on lockdown mode so no one else can access it.
- Ring my Mobile: Sending out a siren sound at full volume to alert those around it as to its presence.
- Wipe my Mobile: Erase Samsung mobile completely so as to protect all your data from being compromised. You should only resort to this option if you suspect your Samsung phone has been stolen.
How to track Samsung cell phone location for free using Find my Mobile:
- First you need to have created a Samsung account before your phone got lost. To do this, you need to go to Android Settings > Account > Add Account. Select Samsung Account.
- In Find My Mobile, you need to enter your Samsung ID and password.
- Click on the Find My Mobile option. You’ll find all your different registered Samsung devices. Select the lost Samsung phone.
- You can now access any of the features mentioned earlier – Lock my Mobile, Locate my Mobile, Ring my Mobile, or Wipe my Mobile.
- Follow the GPS navigation to track mobile phone location for free.
If you own an Android phone other than Samsung, read the method listed out in the next part to track mobile phone location for free.
PART 4: How to track other Android phone location for free
Most Android users have a Google Account, it’s pretty essential to use an Android phone. Google Android Devices come with an in-built feature called Android Device Manager, which makes it very useful for tracking cell phone location for free.
However, in order for the Android Device Manager to work, you need to make sure that you’ve toggled it On in your settings. You also need to download Android Device Manager from Play Store on another Android device in order to track your lost cell phone location for free.
Features of Android Device Manager:
- GPS tracking cell phone location for free, if it’s currently logged into a Google Account.
- Reset the lock screen PIN so that others can’t use it, if you suspect they already know the PIN.
- Erase all data from the Android Device so that it isn’t compromised.
- Set off a siren so as to alert others about its location.
- Put the Android phone on lockdown mode so no one can access it.
How to track Android cell phone location for free using Android Device Manager:
- Toggle On Android Device Manager: Your Android device can only be located if its Android Device Manager is already turned on. Go to Settings > Security > Remotely Locate Device & Allow Remote Lock and Erase. Turn them on.
- Location Access On: Go to Settings > Location. Turn it On.
- Track Android Mobile Phone Location for Free using Android Device Manager: Access the app from another Android phone. Enter your Google Account. You’ll find an interactive map with the location of all your Google Android accessible devices. Select the lost Android device. Now you can use any of the features given above. You can track your phone location, or set off a siren, lock it, etc.
All of the methods listed out so far only work when you have to track cell phone location for free for your own cell phone. However, if you want to track someone else’s cell phone location, you need a method of free tracking cell phone location without them knowing. In the next parts, I’ll show you how to do that using third party apps mSpy and hoverwatch.
PART 5: How to track someone’s phone location without them knowing via mSpy
mSpy is one of the most reputed GPS Phone Tracker in the market with which to track someone else’s cell phone location without them knowing. This app is mostly used by people who want to track someone else’s phone location, be it children, or spouse, or employees. As such, you need to have an app that is discrete and reliable.
mSpy ticks both of those boxes because it’s one of the most popular location tracking apps in the market. It comes with several GPS tracking features that can help you tracking cell phone location, and it has other related features as well.
Using mSpy to track someone’s cell phone location isn’t a free alternative like the previous methods. However, it’s one of the most reasonable means of tracking someone else’s cell phone location without them knowing.
Do you need to Jailbreak/ Root target phone to track its location?
mSpy has a no-jailbreak/rooting option, yes. However, that option isn’t available for people who want to track cell phone location. The GPS navigation can only be accessed if you’ve jailbroken/rooted the target device. This means you need to gain access to the target phone, jailbreak it, and install the mSpy app into it.
If you’re concerned about jailbreaking yourself, you should know that mSpy also has the best customer service in the industry and they can easily help you jailbreak the target phone and set up the mobile location tracker as well. You can either call them over the phone to be guided. Or you can avail of their mAssistance service, which means that representatives from mSpy will personally come over and jailbreak/root the device and set up the app for you.
How to track a cell phone location without them knowing using mSpy?
To track cell phone location without them knowing using mSpy, you need to first gain access to the target individual’s phone. Once you have it, you’ll need to jailbreak/root it, and then install the mSpy application into it. You can do it yourself, or through the mAssistance mentioned earlier.
The specifics of installation varies between different types of cell phones, however below I’ve listed the broad strokes of how to go about the process.
- There are three different mSpy packages available – Basic, Exclusive, and Bundle. You don’t need to get the Exclusive package as the GPS location tracking feature is available in Basic as well. However, if you want to simultaneously track location for more than one devices, you can buy the Bundle Kit.
- Once you’ve selected the package, you need to select the license period. And then simply make the payment through an online portal.
- Once the payment is processed, you’ll receive two eMails – a Welcome eMail, and an eMail with the login details for your personal control panel.
- In the control panel, you’ll have the option to either use the non-jailbreak version or the jailbreak version of the app. Location tracking is only possible in the jailbreak version so choose that.
- Now you’ll receive a guide on how to jailbreak a device and install the app into it.
- Get your hands on the target device and either jailbreak/ install it yourself, or use mAssistance to do it for you.
- Hide the Jailbreak/Rooting and the mSpy icon so that no one gets suspicious.
- Access your control panel. You’ll find a live interactive map with which you can track cell phone location without them knowing. You’ll get live updates with the cell phone’s movements. And you can even use the Geo-Fencing movement to set up a radius for the device. As such, if the device goes past that point, you’ll be notified.
Can mSpy track a cell phone location without them knowing?
mSpy prides itself on stealth. As such, if you jailbreak the target phone, you get the option of hiding the mSpy app so that the target individual doesn’t find out they’re being tracked.
mSpy is one of the most compatible tracker app in the market. It can work on any cell phone devices, computers, across all operating systems. You can find a detailed compatibility chart here >
As we’ve already mentioned, mSpy is one of the most powerful yet most reasonable apps in the market for tracking cell phone location without them knowing. It’s available in three packages – Basic, Exclusive, and Bundle Kit. You get these packages for licensing periods of 1 month, 3 months, or 12 months.
You can get the Basic package for this because GPS location tracking is applicable in it. Or if you want to track up to 3 devices, you can get the Bundle Kit.
Pros and Cons of mSpy
|Reliable and reputable app.||Jailbreak is necessary for location tracking.|
|Availability of mAssistance.|
|mSpy icon can easily be hidden.|
If you want to find out what else this app can do you can read my detailed mSpy Review.
PART 6: Tracking Another Mobile Location for Free
hoverwatch has become one of the most popular phone location tracker in the market within a very short period of time. It’s a lot cheaper than mSpy and it can also be used to track someone’s phone location without them knowing.
However, the biggest drawback from hoverwatch is its extremely limited compatibility. It’s not made for iPhone devices, and as such it directly cuts down its users by half.
Do you need to Root an Android phone to track its location?
This is another major aspect in which hoverwatch has a clear advantage over mSpy. hoverwatch can even be used to track someone else’s cell phone location without them knowing if you haven’t rooted the device. However, in lieu of rooting the Android device, you’ll need to somehow have access to the target individual’s phone ID and password.
How to track someone’s cell phone location without them knowing using hoverwatch?
hoverwatch is also a lot easier to use and install compared to mSpy. These are the steps you need to follow.
- You need to choose between a Basic and a Family plan. Both of them have identical features, however the Family plan can be used to track up to 5 devices. After choosing the plan, simply make the payment online and buy it.
- Now you need to officially create an account with hoverwatch for free. Once that’s done, you’ll be able to download the app from the online account.
- Now you need to install the app into the target phone. You can do it on either through rooting or non-rooting.
- After installation, you need to activate invisible mode in the hoverwatch icon so that you can track cell phone location without them knowing.
- Now you need to go back to your online account where you’ll find an interactive map with real-time updates of the target phone’s location. You can also change the frequency with which the cell phone location is updated in the interface. You also get access to the target phone’s route history, and if they frequent a particular spot often, that area become red on the map.
Can hoverwatch track a cell phone location without them knowing?
After you install hoverwatch on the target device, you can activate invisible mode on the device so that you can continue tracking cell phone location without them knowing. As such, yes hoverwatch is completely discreet.
After you hide the app, you’ll get a secret PIN code in your own phone. You’ll have to use that code to unlock the app in the future, if you so choose.
hoverwatch is only compatible in the following devices and operating systems:
- Windows PC
- MAC OSX
- Android 4.x – 7.x
There are two packages available for license periods of 1, 3, and 12 months. The packages are Basic and Family, and the only difference between them is that the latter can monitor up to 5 devices. As such, the Family bundle is ideal for large families or for employers who need to track cell phone location of several employees.
You can check out the entire list of costing here >
Pros and Cons of hoverwatch
|Cheap.||Not meant for iPhones.|
|Can track cell phone location of up to 5 devices.|
|Not necessary to root the device.|
PART 7: Comparison of hoverwatch and mSpy
Both hoverwatch and mSpy are great options with which to track cell phone location without them knowing. However, it can be hard to decide which is more suitable for you. To make the decision easier on you, I’ve created these two comparative tables.
In Table 1, you can compare the different specifications and features of the two location tracking apps. In Table 2, you can compare how much they cost for different license periods. I hope these tables help you make a more informed decision.
|License Period||1 month to 1 year||1 month to 1 year|
|Rooting for Android||Not necessary||Not necessary|
|Jailbreaking for iOS||Necessary||Necessary|
|Visibility and Discretion||Invisible||Invisible|
|Customer Support||eMail, Phone call, Live Chat, mAssistance|
|License Period||mSpy (Basic)||hoverwatch|
So now you know all about tracking phone location for free. In this article I’ve listed out options for tracking cell phone location of your own phone when it’s lost or stolen, and I’ve also listed out options for tracking someone else’s cell phone location without them knowing.
Parts 1 to 4 are used for tracking your own lost cell phone location.
If you’ve lost an iPhone, you can use iCloud or Find My iPhone to track cell phone location for free. Both of them have the same features, the only difference being one of them is done over iCloud.com, whereas the other is done using the Find My iPhone app.
If you’ve lost a Samsung cell phone, you can use the Find My Mobile solution, which is similar to Find My iPhone. And if you’ve lost any other Android Phone, you can use Android Device Manager to locate it for free.
However, if you want to track someone else’s cell phone location without them knowing, you need to use spy apps such as mSpy and hoverwatch. These apps aren’t free like the previous solutions, but they’re the most reasonable apps in the market. These are discreet apps that you can use to track anyone’s cell phone location without them knowing. Both of them are great in their own rights. However, hoverwatch is cheaper than mSpy and it also comes with a non-rooting solution, though it can’t be used for iOS devices. You should only use these apps ethically to monitor kids, or employees, or sometimes spouses. Tracking someone else without their consent can be illegal and dangerous.
I hope you now have a clear idea of what you want to do. Whatever you decide, feel free to let me know about it down in the comments section.